Friday, May 1, 2015

Review #4-Unearthly

By: Cynthia Hand

Hello again, book lovers!! Today I am reviewing Unearthly, by Cynthia Hand! I have been in a bit of a book slump lately and I am not reading as much as I usually would be, but hopefully it ends soon. 

Summary:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?


My opinion:
The book starts off when Clara is sixteen. She wakes up in the middle of the night and smells smoke, so she goes to the kitchen, checking to make sure that nothing is on fire. That's when it all starts.

When I first picked this book up, it sucked me right into their world. I was no longer in my own house, but in Jackson Hole, Wyoming! I loved the characters so much and Jeffrey definitely acts the way I would see a fourteen year-old boy acting. The plot was so exciting and there was such a crazy plot twist towards the end that it even surprised me! The beginning explains to you that Clara is an angel-blood and all angel-bloods have a purpose. Her purpose includes a boy in a forest. (That is all I can tell you or else it will spoil the book...) The quote in the next paragraph is from the prologue, which is explaining her vision:

"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees. He's around my age, in that space between child and man, maybe all of seventeen years old. I'm not sure how I know this. I can only see the back of his head, his dark hair curling damply against his neck. I feel the dry heat of the sun, so intense, drawing the life from everything. There's a strange orange light filling the eastern sky. There's the heavy smell of smoke. For a moment I'm filled with such a smothering grief that it's hard to breathe. I don't know why. I take a step toward the boy, open my mouth to call his name, only I don't know it. The ground crunches under my feet. He hears me. He starts to turn. One more second and I will see his face.
That's when the vision leaves me. I blink, and it's gone."

I am in love with this book and want to buy it just so I can admire it on my bookshelf. :)



I hope you all enjoy this book if you do end up reading it! I am now currently reading City of Ashes, by Cassandra Clare. I know, I'm super late for the TMI (The Mortal Instruments) fandom, but I thought I'd give it a try!

Keep reading!
-Madi

No comments:

Post a Comment